Great Outdoors

exploring the outdoors to reduce stress

BCEdAccess

This week we talked with Tracey Humphries from BCEdAccess about technology and how it can be used to help with special needs and alternative learning. I related closely to this subject because I have worked with so many kids in my years at day cares who have used technology to help them communicate better. I think the problem with the amount of resources and budget on these programs is absolutely dreadful because there are so many positive outcomes from these types of programs. I worked with a child who was non-verbal and he used an iPad to communicate with us. When he was first put into my room, he didn’t have this technology to help him. After a couple of months, his family finally, working closely with Queen Alexandra Hospital, got approval for this wonderful use fo technology. To see him grow through the many years he was in my program was amazing because there was a huge difference from the beginning. I think this minority of people need a voice and we as educators need to emphasis that every child needs a chance to learn. The sad truth is money goes into systems that give money out, even though there is no money coming out of these types of programs, they give the chance for a struggling child to learn and grow with society. It is important that social justice is prevalent and exercised regularly in each of our classrooms and advertising these programs is a good way to promote that.