Great Outdoors

exploring the outdoors to reduce stress

Inquiries Continued

Today we talked about the Pacific School of Innovation and Inquiry and also had a chat with Jeff Hopkins who is the founder of the school here in Victoria. This was an incredible opportunity of learning about this school and getting a look into how the program works.

Just like in my last reflection with Trevor Mackenzie, this school allows students to inquire about subjects that they are genuinely interested in. What’s different about this is the approach is towards older students compared to what Trevor promoted in his teachings. Students in this school will get a chance to inquire about anything they have personal interest in which allows them to deepen their understandings in a certain area. Even though some students can excel in normal high schools, many of them go through the system and do not retain a single thing. This school allows students to work independently on projects while giving them the support they need in their learning. I find this to be so amazing as it shows that education is becoming more innovative which can help students of all mindsets to succeed.

The reason I really enjoy this type of school is because I was a student who always tried to stay positive by trying to immerse myself into education even when I didn’t have interest in the subject. The problem is that not all students want to learn about every subject you take in school, I had many friends who had negative perspectives towards education and this made them uninterested in going to classes or doing assignments. I think everyone has something they enjoyed learning through school and this type of learning provides the opportunity for students to explore areas they want to know more about.