Great Outdoors

exploring the outdoors to reduce stress

Goldstream Trestle

The Goldstream trestle always pops into my head when I think of popular hikes on Vancouver Island. Located just north of Langford, it is about a 2km hike with high elevation. This hike is meant for beginners but it definitely might not be for the faint of heart as the trestle itself has no railing and is quite high (thankfully I enjoy heights!!!!). There are several ways to get to the trestle: you can leave your car at the Goldstream Park parking lot off of the Malahat when driving north from Langford, you can then walk down the trail thats headed north and you will get to a big cement tunnel thats meant to drain under the highway to prevent from flooding the road. This method is probably the most popular but remember to wear water proof shoes as you will most likely need to walk through water (because we all know how wet this island is!!). Once you go through the tunnel, you come out to “Niagara Falls” and there will be an abrupt climb to your right that leads up to the trestle! If you are coming from Duncan and are driving south on the Malahat, there is a parking lot to the right (that is fairly small) which leads to the trail as well. Lastly, there is one more way to get to the trestle which might be the longest: through the Goldstream Park Campground. You can park at the campground and walk a trail that leads to a railroad. The railroad can then be followed north and this meets up with the other aforementioned trail. However, this makes the walk two times longer if you are looking to do a big outside walk.

This happens to be one of my favourite hikes if you are looking for a quick fix for exercise! And I also believe this should be a place that everyone on this island should experience. The scenery is incredible and really puts in perspective of just how small we all are. I would recommend bringing your own lunch or a bought snack from a local bakery and to just enjoy the time up on the bridge. If you are brave enough to walk across, there is also a second trestle not too far down the railroad.